Note: This position has been filled.
Position title: Technical Writer
Position type: Part-time employee, hourly rate: commensurate with experience
Reports to: James Gallagher
ATTN: James Gallagher
125 W. Granite St., suite 210
Butte, MT 59701
This position is an hourly position to work on specific documentation tasks, with the possibility that an open-ended contract could be put in place at a future date.
Basic Function of Job
Support OPeNDAP by editing and correcting existing documentation and writing new documentation for our software. Knowledge of the basics of computer programming will help in taking documentation already written and making it accessible to a wider audience. For some of the software’s functions, new text will need to be written, while for other functions, existing text will require updating.
OPeNDAP, Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation formed in Rhode Island to develop data exchange middleware. OPeNDAP’s software is used in a variety of research and data management settings, including NASA and NOAA data centers as well as universities and private corporations. All of OPeNDAP’s software is open-source.
While OPeNDAP’s business office is in Narragansett, Rhode Island, we also have employees in Montana, Oregon and Colorado.
- Update/correct/augment existing documentation
- Work with engineers to ensure documents are correct
- Work with web admin to provide HTML and PDF versions of documentation
- Edit web pages for content and grammar
- Experience working with engineers to document software for users and system administrators
- Basic knowledge of software design is a plus
- Unix, OS/X and/or Linux as well as command line tools
- Experience with markdown and HTML
- Experience with AsciiDoc is a plus
- B.S. in Technical Communications or the equivalent; and
- At least three-years experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience