In order to achieve level 3 interoperability for data sets that are, from the
use metadata perspective, not consistently described at the provider site, a
consistent set of use metadata must be available from 3rd party sites.
- Should there be a project sponsored 3rd party metadata site? Such a site
- one full time person initially,
- agreement on a consistent set of use metadata, and
- collection of these metadata - the data set registration tool could be used
to help here. The metadata stored at the GCMD are not
adquate at present nor are most FGDC descriptions of data sets.
- If yes, should the project maintain such a site or out-source it?