||NVODS and the Integrated Ocean Observing System|
Where will we be in two years
We have two more years of funding. What do we expect the state of the system to be at
the end of this time? I would like to see:
- 4 to 5 pilots with significant use from different groups representative of the communities
that we are trying to serve. These groups need not be large but they should be obtaining significant
benefit from using the system.
- Acceptance of the DAP by the community ==> significant group writing software on both the
client and server side.
- An exponentially growing base of DODS data users.
To achieve this we will need:
- Robust software running on a variety of platforms with:
- At the DAP level we should have a:
- 3rd party metadata capability, and
- an XML based implementatoin of the at least the dds and das.
- On the client side we should have:
- file-out tools for Arc xx, Matlab, IDL and Excel.
- command-line clients for Arc xx, Matlab, IDL and Excel.
- a suite of tools for use within these applications to access and manipulate
acquired data ==> toolboxes.
- Level 3 interoperability at the use level for a large fraction of the NVODS holdings.
- A well defined use metadata structure.
- A well defined controlled vocabulary for variables and units.
- A heavily populated 3rd party metadata site.
- Level 3 interoperabilitiy at the data location level ==> the capability of
locating NVODS data sets from within application packages.
- A suite of user interfaces with different approaches to accessing data via the DAP.
These interfaces should be capable of:
- Web based GUIs capable of requesting and and plotting NVODS data.
- Application GUIs such as the Matlab GUI.
- Requesting and plotting NVODS data in geophysical units.
- Accessing any properly described (consistent metadata) data set.
- A substantial population base for the system.
- A mechanism for entraining new users/participants in the effort.