The Data Attribute Structure (DAS)
The DAS is the semantic metadata for a data set.
- There is no constraint on the metadata that is placed here.
- The DAS could be empty or could hold an FGDC compliant
description of the data set.
- At a minimum we would like to see semantic use
translational metadata here.
- This metadata is held in containers within the DAS that
associate the metadata with the variables in the data set.
- The DAS may come from metadata bound to the data set (e.g., NetCDF)
or from an ancillary DAS file.
- The DAS for a data set may be requested from the browser by appending
.das to the data set name.
The DAS for the TOPEX data set discussed above is: http://dods.gso.uri.edu/cgi-bin/nph-nc/WOCE2000/SeaSurfaceHeight/topex/data/05_deg/ssh05d19950414.nc.das