- Fall 1993 - Initial workshop held at the Alton Jones Campus of URI.
- Peter Cornillon and Glenn Flierl CoIs.
- Funded by NASA and NOAA included one person year funding to implement recommendatios.
- Involved ~40 Oceanographers, Computer Scientists and Ocean Data Archivists.
- The group proposed the design and construction of a system that would.
- facilitate access to PI held data as well as data held in national archives and
- allow the data user to use the analysis package with which s/he is the most
- System to be UNIX only built for Sun, DEC and SGI.
- System called the Distributed Oceanographic Data System.
- Workshop report available at:
- Basic system designed by James Gallagher and Glenn Flierl and implemented by Gallagher.
- 1994 - Additional funding from NASA and NOAA to continue work for 3 more years ~two software engineers/year.