||DODS: What it is and what it is not|
- an architectural framework to allow the user to easily
access data over the network in a consistent fashion.
- an extension to the web
- html provides a basic structure to move text and pictures over
- DODS provides a basic structure to move data over the network.
- Both use http as the underlying transport protocol.
DODS is :
- an analysis package.
- DODS is the infrastructure that enables the user to interface
his or her analysis package to data resources on the network.
- a data location service.
- But a data location service may make use of DODS to access
a list of data sets or to deliver a list of data sets to a user.
- a web browser.
- Although DODS may be used by web browsers to access data.
DODS does make value judgements
with regard to data in the system; data quality is the responsibility
of the provider AND of the user.