Answers to Dave Martin's third question:
- Do we agree with this rather bleak assessment?
- If so, how do our programs address these issues?
- What specific, identified additional efforts should be undertaken?
With regard to NVODS, more agency involvement is needed
at the data level. This could happen in two ways:
- higher level management in the agencies might take a more active
role in encouraging participation in NVODS, and
- Ocean.US might take a more active role in encouraging agency
entity participation in NVODS; e.g., NVODS and NODC.
- Should Ocean.US host a community workshop to address specific issues
within the above and, if so, who should come?
- What is missing in the present NOPP investments in VOD-HUB, OBIS, etc.?
- How do we get beyond continuing rounds of hand-wringing and develop
solutions to these issues?
- What is the proper role of science in developing solutions versus a more immediate
"imposition" of standards/protocols/conventions, etc. achieved by obtaining rapid community
consensus of what they should be?