||NVODS: What it is and what it is not|
- a system that facilitates access to oceanographic data and
data products via the Internet regardless of data type, where the data are
stored, the format in which they are stored, the user's visualization package
or the user's level of expertise,
- a system that is a component of GOOS, but is also expected to
extend well beyond the GOOS effort, and
- a system that will evolve with the Internet, with computer hardware,
with computer software and with the interests of its users.
NVODS does deal with:
- the acquisition of data at the sensor,
- issues related to the long term storage of these data,
- the system processing capability,
- the actual network (hardware) infrastructure, nor
- the very low level data transport protocols, such as tcp/ip.